Cornmeal is an amazingly grain, especially when baked into scrumptious and satisfying Sweet Gluten Free Cornbread Muffins!
Of great historic significance, cornmeal sustained generations of American emigrants and remains a mainstay of Southwestern and Southern cuisine.
Woefully deficient in tryptophan, many a southerner whose diet was cornmeal based, perished from Pellagra, a Niacin deficiency.
Niacin is a B vitamin, important brain food necessary for a sunny disposition and a well-adjusted personality. You might call it a “high morale” vitamin. It’s also important for proper digestion.
Miraculously, Niacin is produced in the body from the amino acid tryptophan when complete proteins and other B vitamins are in abundance in the same meal.
While we cannot add tryptophan as an ingredient to our recipe, we enriched it with a combination of nutritional yeast for Niacin, other B vitamins and more protein.
Going further, we upped the protein, calcium and iron content of our recipe with the milk from Gluten-free Creamed Corn. Consider an optional bit of blackstrap molasses to add even more iron. We threw in an extra egg for more protein, too.
These nutritious additions enhance taste and texture, making sweet cornbread muffins melt-in-your-mouth must-haves!
How can Sweet Gluten Free Cornbread Muffins taste oh so good when you can't tell the difference between them and their wheat-based cousins? Because, they are made with high quality ingredients. One bite and you're hooked for life!
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Spray a 12-cup standard muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a large mixing bowl, blend together the dry ingredients, creamed corn, eggs, oil and butter.
5. Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
6. Stir just until blended.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full.
8. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Cool in pan on a cookie rack for 10 minutes.
10. Remove muffins and cool on cookie rack.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com