Gluten free Dutch Baby pancakes are an irresistible breakfast treat your family will love!
Some might recognize this puffed beauty as a sweetened version of the American Popover or the British Yorkshire Pudding. Others are more familiar with its Pennsylvania Dutch monikers, Bismarck or Dutch Puff.
“Dutch Baby” is an American term for an old country favorite from Germany, “German Pancake”. “Dutch” is a corruption of the Germanic spelling, “Deutsch” meaning “German”.
Whatever you call this delicious breakfast food made with an eggs, milk, flour and sugar batter, you’ll be wowed by the drama . . . watch it puff up as it bakes . . . kids really love this!
When you pull a Gluten free Dutch Baby from the oven, it will collapse, leaving tantalizing crispy edges and a delicious custardy center.
Traditionally served with a sprinkling of lemon juice and dusted with powdered sugar, this breakfast specialty begs to be filled with other toppings. Try sliced fresh fruit, applesauce, warm syrup or cinnamon and sugar.
How to Make a Gluten Free Dutch Baby
By Cat McMahon
Whatever you call this delicious breakfast, you will be wowed by the drama! Watch it puff up as it bakes. Kids really love this!
1. Place a 9 to 12 inch cast iron skillet in a cold oven.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F.
3. In a small mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, starch and salt, and then set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy.
5. Add milk and mix until blended.
6. Add flour mixture and beat until smooth.
7. Melt butter in the skillet, brushing the edges of the pan with the butter.
8. Pour batter into hot buttered skillet and return to oven.
9. Bake for 15 minutes.
10. Carefully remove hot Dutch Baby from skillet onto a clean plate.
11. Cut Dutch Baby into wedges.
12. Garnish hot Dutch Baby with fresh squeezed lemon juice sprinkled over the top and a dusting of powdered sugar.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com