Sign up for our FREE monthly Updates!
Homemade Vanilla Extract-Gluten Free
Updated March 2, 2016
A high quality extract with outstanding flavor, Homemade Gluten Free Vanilla Extract will enhance your cooking and save you money.
As an extract base, vodka is virtually tasteless, perfect for fine foods. Be sure to purchase grain-free vodka. Potato vodka is safe for all people sensitive to gluten and has a smooth taste, no “bite”.
Buy vanilla beans in bulk to save money and freeze the extra pods to use later.
Consider keeping two bottles of Homemade Gluten Free Vanilla Extract on hand so you are never without, one to cook with and the other to ripen in the cupboard.
Homemade Vanilla Extract--Gluten Free
Time: about 10 minutes
Servings: 1 bottle
- Potato Vodka, a fifth
- 1 vanilla bean
- With a sharp knife, split the vanilla bean in half, leave the seeds.
- Open the bottle of vodka and drop the vanilla bean halves inside.
- Seal the bottle and shake vigorously to disperse flavors.
- Put the bottle in a dark cabinet at room temperature
- Let ripen for about 6 weeks.
- The longer the extract sits, the better the flavors blend
- Give it a good shake about once a week during ripening.
- After 6 weeks, shake vigorously to mix.
- Use as indicated by your recipes.
Too busy to make your own gluten-free vanilla extract?
Here are some fine alternatives to purchase:
Home > Seasonings & Flavorings > Homemade Vanilla Extract--Gluten Free