Shamrock Cookies are Gluten-free Irish Charm!
Updated March 1, 2016
There are shamrock cookies; you know the ones I mean, the professional looking, beautifully decorated sugar cookie cutouts gracing holiday celebrations . . .
. . . and then there are Shamrock Cookies, sweet melt-in-your mouth molded creations with Grandma’s homemade touch!
To create these Irish inspired delights, I took cues from Gluten Free Sugar Cookies—Key Recipe to Incredible Cutout Cookies, a world class recipe that passed the “cookie” test with friends, family and co-workers who thought they were eating the real thing.
By increasing the gluten-free flour content of the dough, these otherwise flat cutouts were launched into a new dimension . . . 3-D!
Fashioning small round dough balls and chilling them before baking, produces charming puff-leafed Shamrocks.
Add a magical sparkle with a sprinkling of green colored sugar.
Not just for St. Patrick’s Day, make these cute Cookies any time of year when you need a touch of Irish cheer.
Time: 3 hours
Servings: 36 cookies
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together White Gluten Free Four Blend, potato starch and sea salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- To the sugar mixture, add vanilla extract and egg, and then beat well.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, mixing well.
- Add green food coloring to desired tint and mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll teaspoonfuls of dough into 126 balls and place on baking sheet.
- (Optional: If desired, roll 108 balls in green sugar, setting aside 18 un-sugared balls to be used later to make shamrock stems.)
- Refrigerate dough balls for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut 18 balls in half and roll each half into a short finger for stems.
- For each cookie gently press together 3 dough balls with one stem on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place cookies at least 1 inch apart.
- Garnish each cookie center with a generous sprinkling of green colored sugar.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are dry, just before turning golden brown.
- Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes.
- Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cookie dough can be frozen. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before baking.
What People are Saying!
Home > Gluten Free Cookies Recipes > Shamrock Cookies are Gluten-free Irish Charm!