FREE!Make your day delicious! Get the "Gluten Free Homemade Newsletter".Click here!
Bangers and Mash Recipe--Gluten Free
Updated April 23, 2018.
This Bangers and Mash recipe is a delicious way to celebrate all things Irish . . . or British!
Whether your get-together is in honor of St. Patrick’s Day, as part of Halloween or just a pleasant gathering of friends and family on a misty evening, Irish sausage with all the trimmings is satisfying comfort food.
Some consider Bangers and Mash pub fare, but this spicy dish surprises many who think British Isle cuisine quite bland.
Bangers and Mash have lowly origins, poor farm families.
Old families are proud of their proprietary sausage recipes handed down for generations.
Mixtures include meats of one or more sources, such as ground lamb, pork, veal and beef.
In reality, underprivileged families used whatever was at hand to feed their empty bellies.
Cooking methods vary as well, with families swearing by one method over another.
Purists enjoy the flavor and texture of banger links boiled until cooked through in Guinness (not gluten-free), or a favorite gluten-free beer or ale of their choice.
Another following believes the best flavor is had when Irish sausages are grilled.
Sautéed on the stove top, barbecued, broiled or baked, these sausages are incredibly tasty anyway you cook them.
The same with the mashed potatoes and onion gravy.
Serve this Bangers and Mash recipe with green peas fresh from the garden, baked beans, Irish Soda Bread, and a pint of your favorite gluten-free beer, ale or hard cider and you have a yummy crowd pleasing feast.
Did You Know?
There is an entertaining song named, Bangers and Mash, sung by Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren, stars in the 1960 British romantic comedy, The Millionairess.
Bangers and Mash Recipe
By Cat McMahon
This Bangers and Mash recipe will have you kicking up your heels in an Irish jig for more!
- 2 pounds ground beef (or 1 pound ground pork mixed and 1 pound ground veal)
- 1 cup rusk crumbs (gluten-free Irish Soda Bread crumbs, or other bread crumbs)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
2. In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix all ingredients together.
3. Roll meat mixture into 4 inch sausage links, or stuff meat mixture into sausage casings.
4. Place links into a roasting pan.
5. Bake for 30 minutes until browned and just beginning to caramelize.
6. Serve hot.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- cold water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pinches ground nutmeg
- salt to taste
1. Into a large saucepan, add salt and potatoes.
2. Cover with cold water.
3. Bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 25 minutes or until for tender.
5. Drain potatoes and return to pot.
6. Add sour cream, butter and nutmeg.
7. Smash potatoes with a potato masher until light and fluffy.
8. Stir in salt to taste.
9. Serve hot.
Irish Onion Gravy
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons potato starch
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt and black pepper taste
Irish Onion Gravy
1. In a large saucepan melt butter over medium high heat.
2. Add sliced onions and sauté until caramelized.
3. Stir in potato starch and cook for 1 minute.
4. Stir in red wine, scraping browned bits from the bottom of the pan; cook for about 30 seconds.
5. Add chicken broth, stirring until mixture comes to a simmer and thickens.
6. Simmer gravy for 1 minute more while stirring.
7. Serve hot.
Thank You for Your Support! When you make a purchase via a link on this website, we may earn a small commission on the transaction at no added cost to you, which helps to keep the information and recipes on GlutenFreeHomemade.com FREE for your use. See our Affiliate Products and Services statement.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.