Avoid the shopping crowds. Start an online business instead. Next year you'll be able to spend more time at home with your family and shower them with gifts from your earnings!
Bangers and Mash Recipe--Gluten Free
Updated September 8, 2017.
This Bangers and Mash recipe is a delicious way to celebrate all things Irish . . . or British!
Whether your get-together is in honor of St. Patrick’s Day, as part of Halloween or just a pleasant gathering of friends and family on a misty evening, Irish sausage with all the trimmings is satisfying comfort food.
Some consider Irish sausage and mashed potatoes pub fare, but this spicy dish surprises many who think British Isle cuisine quite bland.
Irish sausage and mash have lowly origins, poor farm families.
Old families are proud of their proprietary sausage recipes handed down for generations. Mixtures include meats of one or more sources, such as ground lamb, pork, veal and beef. In reality, underprivileged families used whatever was at hand to feed their empty bellies.
Cooking methods vary as well, with families swearing by one method over another.
Purists enjoy the flavor and texture of banger links boiled until cooked through in Guinness, or other favorite gluten-free beer or ale of their choice.
Another following believes the best flavor is had when Irish sausages are grilled.
Sautéed on the stove top, barbecued, broiled or baked, these sausages are incredibly tasty anyway you cook them . . . same with the mashed potatoes and onion gravy.
Serve my Bangers and Mash recipe with green peas fresh from the garden, baked beans, Irish Soda Bread or Spotted Dog, and a pint of your favorite gluten-free beer or ale, and you have a yummy crowd pleasing feast.
Did You Know?
There is an entertaining song named, Bangers and Mash, sung by Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren, stars in the 1960 British romantic comedy, The Millionairess.
Bangers and Mash Recipe
By Cat McMahon
This Bangers and Mash recipe will have you kicking up your heels in an Irish jig for more!
1. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
2. In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly mix all ingredients together.
3. Roll meat mixture into 4 inch sausage links, or stuff meat mixture into sausage casings.
4. Place links into a roasting pan.
5. Bake for 30 minutes until browned and just beginning to caramelize.
6. Serve hot.
Irish Mash Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- cold water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pinches ground nutmeg
- salt to taste
Irish Mash Instructions:
1. Into a large saucepan, add salt and potatoes.
2. Cover with cold water.
3. Bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 25 minutes or until for tender.
5. Drain potatoes and return to pot.
6. Add sour cream, butter and nutmeg.
7. Smash potatoes with a potato masher until light and fluffy.
8. Stir in salt to taste.
9. Serve hot.
Irish Onion Gravy Ingredients:
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons potato starch
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt and black pepper taste
Irish Onion Gravy Instructions:
1. In a large saucepan melt butter over medium high heat.
2. Add sliced onions and sauté until caramelized.
3. Stir in potato starch and cook for 1 minute.
4. Stir in red wine, scraping browned bits from the bottom of the pan; cook for about 30 seconds.
5. Add chicken broth, stirring until mixture comes to a simmer and thickens.
6. Simmer gravy for 1 minute more while stirring.
7. Serve hot.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.