Cook up this excellent gluten-free Beef Pot Pie recipe when it is time to clean out the refrigerator and transform your leftovers into a perfectly delicious repast!
The origin of the pot pie as we know it today, goes way back in culinary history, when pots filled with bits of meat, vegetables and broth or gravy simmered over coals all day, because there was no refrigeration to preserve leftovers.
In preparation for the main meal of the day, the top of the hot hodge-podge of leftovers was seasoned with whatever was at hand, and then sealed with a crust of pastry.
Signature recipes were passed down from one generation to the next, becoming the stuff of family legends and tall tales, historic storytelling at the supper table.
Sharing warm memories and happy times are what turn otherwise humble ingredients into the treasured comfort foods we crave.
This classic Beef Pot Pie recipe is a family favorite packed with health building vegetables.
- pastry for a two crust pie (see Gluten Free Pie Crust recipe)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon dry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons potato starch
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups cooked beef, diced
- 1 large cooked potato, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- black pepper
1. Line bottom of a 9 inch pie plate with one pie crust; and then chill until ready to use.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F.
3. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium high heat.
4. Add onion, mushrooms and carrots to Dutch oven and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes; stir occasionally.
5. Add garlic, thyme, salt, dry mustard and pepper, and cook for 30 seconds.
6. Stir in potato starch and cook for 1 minute.
7. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and Dijon mustard.
8. Stir in wine, scraping fond from bottom of pot.
9. Add water and cook for 1 minute or until gravy thickens; stir constantly.
10. Stir in beef, potato and peas, and cook until heated through.
11. Remove from heat.
12. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
13. Evenly spread hot beef pie filling in pastry lined pie plate.
14. Cover with top pie crust.
15. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until crust turns golden brown.
16. Remove from oven.
17. Let set up on wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.