FREE!Make your day delicious! Get the "Gluten Free Homemade Newsletter".Click here!
Black Magic Cake Recipe--Gluten-free
Updated June, 2018
Black Magic Cake recipe is the most raved about gluten-free chocolate cake ever!
It’s no wonder.
Talk about an explosion of rich chocolate flavor!
Considered a kind of “whacky” cake by some, this gluten-free Black Magic Cake recipe is a quick and easy, fail-safe chocolaty delight, perfect for entertaining, holiday celebrations, birthdays and other special occasions.
Changing up this Hershey’s™ Chocolate Company original recipe to a gluten-free version without sacrificing the signature fudge flavor, was easy.
Perfect Cake Structure!
Utilizing special cooking techniques to replicate structure normally created by gluten is the key to flawlessly fantastic gluten-free baked goods that rival wheat based flour products.
By adding an extra egg and reducing the liquid measure by 1/4 cup, the resulting cake has a silky top and rises just right.
Inside is just how a good cake should be, a slightly springy sponge with a moist, tender crumb.
Perfect Chocolate Flavor!
This gluten-free Black Magic Cake is more than a mid-century modern favorite.
It is a chocolate burst to die for!
For the best chocolate flavor use the highest quality unsweetened baking cocoa powder available.
My husband loves this Black Magic Cake recipe mounded with a marshmallowy seven minute frosting for his birthday.
Any way you like it, dusted with confectioners’ sugar, semi-sweet cacao powder laced with cinnamon or covered in chocolate ganache and garnished with dark chocolate curls, this gluten-free Black Magic Cake recipe satisfies chocolate cravings perfectly!
Black Magic Cake Recipe--Gluten-free
By Cat McMahon
If you are looking for a wonderful cake chocolate lovers cannot resist, then this gluten-free Black Magic Cake recipe is for you; moist, rich and fudgy.
- 1 cup extra strong coffee or coffee substitute, cooled
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 3/4 cup White Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Gluten-free Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk (1 tablespoon vinegar plus 3/4 cup milk or milk substitute)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 3 eggs
1. Prepare coffee or coffee substitute, and then set aside to cool.
2. If using sour milk, prepare, and then set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F.
4. Grease and flour a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
6. In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs.
7. To eggs, add cooled coffee, oil, vanilla extract, and buttermilk, and then stir gently to combine.
8. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients.
9. Beat for 2 minutes until well combined and batter is smooth.
10. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
11. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
12. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool completely.
13. Frost cake as desired.
Thank You for Your Support! When you make a purchase via a link on this website, we may earn a small commission on the transaction at no added cost to you, which helps to keep the information and recipes on GlutenFreeHomemade.com FREE for your use. See our Affiliate Products and Services statement.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.