- 1/2 cup crushed gluten-free, corn-free hard peppermint candy
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 1/2 cups White Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter (or shortening)
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, gluten-free, corn-free
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free, corn-free almond extract
- 1 teaspoon Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free, corn-free red food coloring
1. Prepare Peppermint Glaze and set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, potato starch and salt, and then set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl and butter, powdered sugar, egg, almond and vanilla extracts, and beat until fluffy.
4. Add flour mixture and mix until well blended.
5. Divide dough in half.
6. Blend red food coloring into one half of dough.
7. Cover and chill dough for about 1 hour.
8. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
9. Preheat oven to 350°F.
10. In a small bowl stir together crushed peppermint candy and white sugar, and then set aside.
11. Working to make one cookie at a time, use about 1 teaspoon of dough from each color, and evenly roll back and forth on a lightly floured board into 4 inch lengths.
12. Place strips side-by-side and gently press together.
13. Twist the strips together to create a candy cane spiral, and then curve the top to make the cane handle.
14. Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake for 9 minutes or until done.
15. Let cookies set up for 10 minutes before removing from cookie sheet to wire rack to cool completely.
16. Brush cooled cookies with Peppermint Glaze and garnish tops with a sprinkle of crushed peppermint candy sugar.
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free, corn-free peppermint extract
1. In a small saucepan, stir together water, sugar and peppermint extract.
2. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer.
3. Simmer for 3 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
5. Pour into a glass jar and keep in a cool, dark place until ready to use.