- 4 to 5 pound broiler-fryer chicken, washed, cut up, and patted dry
- 1 cup Whole Grain Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 1 cup milk (or milk substitute)
- chicken stock
- 1 recipe Chive Dumplings
1. In a gallon size plastic zip bag, combine flour, salt, paprika, dry mustard, garlic powder and pepper.
2. Put chicken pieces into plastic bag, zip closed; and then shake to coat chicken pieces.
3. In a large Dutch oven
, heat oil just until it shimmers.
4. Brown chicken pieces on all sides.
5. Remove chicken to a warm platter.
6. Drain oil from the Dutch oven, reserving it for later use.
7. Replace chicken in the Dutch oven.
8. Add chicken stock, lemon juice, onion, rosemary and thyme.
9. Cover tightly and simmer until chicken is fork tender, about 45 minutes.
10. Remove chicken to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
11. Drain liquid from Dutch oven, reserving it for later use.
12. Over low heat, reheat reserved oil in the Dutch oven.
13. Stir in potato starch.
14. Cook until roux is bubbling and smooth, about 1 minute.
15. Remove from heat.
16. Add milk to reserved liquid, and then add chicken stock to measure 4 cups total liquid.
17. Whisk liquid mixture into the roux.
18. Over medium high heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook for 1 minute.
19. Return the chicken to Dutch oven.
20. Prepare Chive Dumplings.
21. Drop dumplings dough by tablespoonfuls onto simmering chicken.
22. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
23. Cover tightly and cook for 15 minutes longer.
Thank You for Your Support! When you make a purchase via a link on this website, we may earn a small commission on the transaction at no added cost to you, which helps to keep the information and recipes on GlutenFreeHomemade.com FREE for your use. See our Affiliate Products and Services statement.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.