- pastry for a two crust pie (see Gluten Free Pie Crust recipe)
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free chicken bouillon or soup base
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced or 1/2 teaspoon dry
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free potato starch
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1. Line a 9 inch pie plate with bottom pie crust; and then chill until ready to use.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F.
3. In a Dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat.
4. Season chicken pieces with salt and black pepper.
5. Add chicken to Dutch oven and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
6. Transfer chicken to a clean plate or bowl.
7. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, onion, carrots and celery; cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes, stir occasionally.
8. Add garlic, dry mustard, bouillon and thyme, and cook for 1 minute.
9. Stir in potato starch and cook for 1 minute.
10. Stir in wine and let simmer for 1 minute.
11. Return chicken and juices to the pot.
12. Stir in chicken stock and Dijon mustard.
13. Bring mixture to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
14. Simmer for 10 minutes.
15. Remove from heat.
16. Stir in parsley.
17. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
18. Evenly spread hot chicken pie filling in pastry lined pie plate.
19. Cover with top pie crust; vent crust.
20. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is turning golden brown.
21. Remove from oven.
22. Let set up on wire rack for 10 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.