- 5 thick gluten-free bacon slices, diced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 10 cups beef broth
- 1 cup lentils (brown, green, red or yellow)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme herb
- pinch grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
1. In a Dutch oven over medium high heat, melt butter.
2. Add bacon, butter, carrots, celery and onion, and sauté until vegetables are tender.
3. Place lentils in a strainer, rinse with cold water and drain.
4. Add beef broth, lentils, salt, bay leaves, thyme, nutmeg and potatoes.
5. Cover with lid ajar and simmer for 45 minutes, or until lentils are tender; stir occasionally.
6. In a small bowl, combine water and potato starch.
7. Stir starch mixture into hot soup and cook until thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes.
8. Serve hot.
Thank You for Your Support! When you make a purchase via a link on this website, we may earn a small commission on the transaction at no added cost to you, which helps to keep the information and recipes on GlutenFreeHomemade.com FREE for your use. See our Affiliate Products and Services statement.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.