- Unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 cups White Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 2 teaspoons Gluten-free Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk (or milk substitute)
- 1 teaspoon Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature and separated
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature (or shortening)
- 2 cups granulated white sugar, divided into 1 1/2 cups and 1/2 cup
- 4 ounces unsweetened baker's chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease two 8 inch round cake pans or one 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish, and dust with cacao powder, or line a standard muffin pan with paper baking cups.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt, and then set aside.
4. In a liquid measuring cup, mix together milk and vanilla extract, and then set aside.
5. In a medium mixing bowl, create the meringue by beating egg white until foamy; add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until soft peaks form, and then set aside.
6. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar.
7. Blend in egg yolks and melted chocolate.
8. Add flour mixture and milk mixture, and beat just until batter is fluffy; DO NOT OVER BEAT.
9. Gently fold in meringue.
10. Evenly spread cake batter into prepared pans.
11. Bake round layers 30 to 40 minutes, rectangular layer 35 to 45 minutes, cupcakes 18 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick in middle comes out clean.
12. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire rack.
13. Frost as desired and garnish with chopped nuts of your choice, or dust top with sifted powdered sugar.
Thank You for Your Support! When you make a purchase via a link on this website, we may earn a small commission on the transaction at no added cost to you, which helps to keep the information and recipes on GlutenFreeHomemade.com FREE for your use. See our Affiliate Products and Services statement.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.