Rich and creamy, Gluten Free Pumpkin Cheesecake--New York Style is a holiday dessert your family and guests are sure to love!
After a search of all my recipe books (I have a lot of cookbooks on my shelves), I didn't find what I was looking for--a delicious pumpkin cheesecake recipe I could tweak to make gluten-free.
Now, I’m not one who thinks I always have to create a whole new recipe.
So, I fired up my computer and did a thorough online search.
It took me no time at all to realize there are as many renditions of pumpkin cheesecake as there are cooks who create these recipes and no two were even similar, let alone having a common recipe formula.
What I was looking for was “real” cheesecake.
So, What is the Secret to Creating a New Gluten free Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe?
The answer is, to start with a fantastic base recipe as the foundation before building a new recipe.
Our all-time favorite cheesecake recipe is Cheesecake, New York Style, by the wife of Jeff Smith, author of, The Frugal Gourmet.
Not only is Mrs. Smith’s recipe no fail, it’s the next best thing to the world-class cheesecake we enjoyed when we visited New York City some years ago.
I guess Mrs. Smith would know what great cheesecake is, because she hails from Brooklyn!
So, I got busy and made a few changes, nothing major; replaced the graham cracker crust with a nut crust to eliminate the gluten, and then adjusted the amount of sour cream to accommodate the addition of pumpkin puree.
Then, I added an extra egg to help the softer ingredients set up and came up with a spice mixture to compliment this delectable creamy pumpkin concoction.
Perfect gluten free pumpkin cheesecake!
Consider kicking it up a notch by adding 1/2 teaspoon cloves and 1/2 teaspoon allspice to the recipe below.
Enjoy this late season decadent delight!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Cheesecake—New York Style
By Cat McMahon
Instead of the usual pumpkin pie for a traditional holiday treat, try something New York style . . . gluten-free Pumpkin Cheesecake!
Walnut Crust Instructions:
1. Preheat oven
2. Move rack to lower third of oven.
3. Line the bottom of an 8 inch springform pan with parchment paper.
4. Put all ingredients into a food processor fitted with a cutting blade.
5. Process until the nuts are not quite finely ground and are just starting to stick together.
6. Press mixture into the bottom of the springform pan.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Ingredients:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup very smooth pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- dash ground cayenne
- 16 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
Pumpkin Cheesecake Instructions:
1. Blend sour cream, pumpkin puree, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cayenne in a food processor or blender for 1 minute.
2. Add the cream cheese and blend until smooth.
3. While blending, drizzle in the melted butter until blended and smooth.
4. Pour into the walnut crust lined springform pan.
5. Bake in the oven for 55 to 60 minutes.
6. Remove pumpkin cheesecake from oven.
7. Turn the oven on to broil
8. Broil the top of the pumpkin cheesecake just until appealing spots begin to form.
9. Chill for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight, before serving.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.