Gluten Free Spice Cake is an easy recipe to make and exceedingly delicious, better than store bought box cake mixes.
It is a perfect dinner party favorite, especially for autumn season celebrations.
Step back in time from mid to late 19th century rural America where boards propped up on roughened saw-horses were covered with embroidered table cloths and packed with a treasure trove of heirloom home cooked foods.
Fiddles tune in the distant twilight as coyotes yip and folks gather after a long day of barn raising to feast and dance.
Grandma's wonderful spice cake teases your senses and you can't wait to dig into heartwarming layers and sweet creamy frosting of to-die-for deliciousness.
Like Grandma's historic recipe, this scrumptious gluten-free spice cake will have your family and friends begging for second helpings.
When you dish it up, tell them about the story behind the gluten free spice cake recipe.
Soon they will reminisce and share their beautiful memories.
Indulge in the nostalgia.
Gluten Free Spice Cake is that special!
Traditionally frosted with White Buttercream, the flavor nuances of this old fashioned gluten free spice cake recipe can be changed up.
Try frosting your cake with Broiled Icing, Burnt Buttercream, Caramel Buttercream, Cream Cheese Frosting, Penuche Frosting or Spice Buttercream.
Better yet, bake and enjoy all the tasty variations of this tongue teasing GlutenFreeHomemade.com original recipe.
Gluten Free Spice Cake--Key Recipe
By Cat McMahon
Imagine the enticing aroma of gluten free Spice Cake baking in the oven. It's mouthwatering!
- 2 1/4 cups White Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Gluten-free Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk (1 tablespoon vinegar plus milk or milk substitute to equal 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature and separated
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature(or shortening)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar, divided into 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease two 8 inch round cake pans or one 13 x 9 x 2 inch rectangular baking dish and dust with White Gluten Free Flour Blend, or line two standard 12-cup standard muffin pans with paper baking cups.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and nutmeg, and then set aside.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, create a meringue by beating the egg whites until foamy; add 1/4 cup granulated white sugar and beat until soft peaks form, and then set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, vegetable oil and brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated white sugar.
6. Blend in egg yolks.
7. Add flour mixture, buttermilk and vanilla extract, and blend just until batter is fluffy; DO NOT OVER BEAT.
8. Gently fold in meringue.
9. Evenly spread cake batter into prepared pans.
10. Bake round layers 30 to 40 minutes, rectangular layer 35 to 45 minutes, cupcakes 18 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
11. Remove from oven and cool in pans on wire rack wire rack for 20 minutes.
12. Remove layers from pans and place right side up on wire racks to cool completely.
13. Fill and frost layers with White Buttercream.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.