Imagine dishing up a steaming bowl of Harvard Beets recipe in brilliant golden tones.
For a thrilling culinary adventure, try all the different beets available at your local market, or grow a rainbow of colors in your home garden.
Fresh Beets are Nature's 3 for 1 Deal!
For this Harvard Beets recipe, consider purchasing a generous bunch of fresh organic beets.
Not only do you get beautiful color and tasty beet roots to enjoy, you also get the rich dark green tops and the lovely magenta colored stems, all jam-packed with vital nutrition for good health and well-being.
The deep crimson color and shape of fresh beet roots is almost symbolic of the organ its phyto-nutrition and minerals (copper, iron, manganese, magnesium and potassium) most greatly benefits--the human heart, and accompanying vascular system.
Serving a Harvard Beets recipe can be a romantic gesture for a special occasion and good for you, too!
Strive to serve the powerful nutrition of fresh beets by including the tops, stems and roots at the same meal.
Beet tops are one of the most delicious of dark leafy greens, and are quick and easy to cook.
For your convenience, you will find many scrumptious recipes in the Harvard Beets recipe "Variations" section below, so you can easily pull together an enticing menu filled with all the good things beets have to offer in order to grow and maintain sparkling health.
Start with the featured Harvard Beets recipe and serve it with Steamed Beet Tops, or try Beets and Pineapple with Creamed Beet Tops served on the side.
Use the Harvard Beets recipe as a jumping off place to create your own mouthwatering variation!
The culinary possibilities are tremendous!
Harvard Beets Recipe--Gluten Free, Corn-Free
By Cat McMahon
This Harvard Beets recipe is as appetizing as it is attractive!
- 4 medium whole beets with skins, washed, roots and stems cut to 1 inch
- cold water
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- 1/4 cup reserved beet cooking water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
1. Place whole beets in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
2. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 to 35 minutes, or until fork tender.
4. Drain; reserve 1/4 cup beet cooking water.
5. Under cold water, slip skins by squeezing beets.
6. Remove stem and root ends.
7. Cut cooked beets into cubes.
8. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, potato starch, salt and pepper.
9. Stir in beet water and vinegar.
10. Cook over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until sauce boils and thickens.
11. Reduce heat and cook for 1 minute more.
12. Stir in beets; heat through.
13. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.