The key to perfect Lemon Meringue Pie recipes is to bake them in a low temperature oven, just long enough for the egg white in the meringue to be hard-cooked, but tender, and so the meringue does not crack, break or fall.
For best results, use an oven thermometer to check the oven temperature before baking a Lemon Meringue Pie recipe.
DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR!
NO SNEAKING A PEEK!
Meringue pie toppings are prone to "fall", and may weep, separate from the baked pie shell, crack or break when subjected to drafts.
Always cool meringue pies in a draft-free place.
Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe Storage Tips
Meringue pies should be chilled before serving, otherwise the filling will be too soft to serve.
Allow Lemon Meringue Pie recipes hot from the oven to cool at room temperature for 4 hours.
To cover a meringue pie before refrigerating, insert toothpicks halfway into meringue to hold plastic wrap away from surface of pie.
Cover loosely with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours before serving.
- 1 Baked Pie Shell
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 3/4 cup cold lemon juice
- 3 eggs, separated and room temperature, reserve egg whites for Meringue Pie Topping
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon peel
- Meringue Pie Topping
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, potato starch, water and lemon juice.
3. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
4. Whisk in egg yolks until well combined.
5. Whisk in butter and lemon peel.
6. Stirring constantly, bring to a simmer over medium heat just until mixture thickens, and then cook for 1 minute more.
7. Immediately pour hot lemon pie filling into Baked Pie Shell.
8. Cover hot pie filling with Meringue Pie Topping, being careful to seal meringue to edge of Baked Pie Shell to prevent weeping and shrinking.
9. Decorate top by swirling meringue or pulling up "peaks" with a table knife.
10. Bake for 30 minutes; DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR!.
11. Cool pie in a draft free place to prevent meringue from falling, 2 to 4 hours.
12. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
13. To cut chilled meringue pie cleanly for serving, use a sharp knife dipped into cold water.
Meringue Pie Topping
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- dash salt
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Homemade Vanilla Extract
1. In a large mixing bowl, add egg whites, cream of tartar and salt.
2. With an electric mixer, beat egg whites just until soft peaks form.
3. Add sugar, slowly sprinkling it over meringue 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating just until stiff glossy peaks form; DO NOT OVER BEAT!
4. Beat in vanilla extract.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.