- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons corn-free, gluten-free gelatin
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon Homemade Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 pound corn-free, gluten-free confectioner's sugar
1. Line bottom and sides of a jelly roll pan with a large piece of lightly buttered foil or oiled parchment paper.
2. Dust with confectioner's sugar, and then set aside.
3. Fit an electric stand mixer with a wire whip attachment.
4. Place cold water in mixer bowl.
5. Sprinkle gelatin over top of water and let stand.
6. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, salt and cream of tartar.
7. Attach a candy thermometer to side of saucepan so tip of bulb measures the middle level of the mixture.
8. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, until candy thermometer reads 240°F, soft ball stage.
9. Turn electric stand mixer on low speed.
10. Slowly pour hot syrup into gelatin mixture until well combined.
11. Add vanilla extract.
12. Slowly increase electric stand mixer speed to high, careful to avoid splattering of hot syrup.
13. Beat mixture on high speed for 10 to 15 minutes or just until foam holds its shape, but is still spreadable and bottom of mixer bowl is barely warm to the touch.
14. Spread marshmallow mixture into prepared pan.
15. Lightly dust top with confectioner's sugar.
16. Let set up for 4 hours or overnight, uncovered.
17. Heavily dust the bottom of a baker's half sheet with confectioner's sugar.
18. Unmold marshmallow on top of confectioner's sugar.
19. Carefully peel off foil or parchment paper.
20. Sprinkle top of marshmallow with a light dusting of confectioner's sugar.
21. With a greased sharp knife, slice marshmallow into long strips about 1 inch wide.
22. Sprinkle top of marshmallow strips with a light dusting of confectioner's sugar.
23. Slice strips into 1 inch cubes.
24. Toss marshmallow cubes with confectioner's sugar.
25. Place small batches of dusted marshmallows in a strainer and gently shake off excess confectioner's sugar.
26. Store marshmallows in an airtight container and keep in a cool, dry place.
Prepare marshmallow syrup as directed in key recipe.
Stir in 1 cup (250 ml), or more, finely shaved milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate into hot syrup just before pouring into gelatin mixture; the hot syrup will melt the chocolate during the whipping process.
Finish as directed in key recipe.
Prepare as directed in key recipe.
Toss marshmallow cubes with sifted cocoa powder instead of confectioner's sugar.
Prepare and cut marshmallows as directed in key recipe.
Toss marshmallow cubes with toasted finely flaked unsweetened coconut.