Make several batches of this marshmallow recipe well in advance to meet your holiday baking and candy making needs.
Marshmallows do not need refrigeration and will keep for several weeks when stored in an airtight container and in a cool dry place.
Decorate fresh made marshmallows with corn-free, gluten-free decorative sugar and candy sprinkles.
Soften stale marshmallows by placing them inside a brown paper bag and warming them in the oven.
Candy Gift Giving
Homemade marshmallows make a delightful gourmet candy gift for loved ones.
Pop a few in a decorative cellophane bag and tie off with a themed ribbon.
Make a chilly weather gift basket by heaping bagged marshmallows in cute mugs. Add a few packages of corn-free, gluten-free gourmet hot cocoa, or bagged homemade hot cocoa, and then decorate your creation with a themed ornament and festive ribbon or bows.
1. Line bottom and sides of a jelly roll pan with a large piece of lightly buttered foil or oiled parchment paper.
2. Dust with confectioner's sugar, and then set aside.
3. Fit an electric stand mixer with a wire whip attachment.
4. Place cold water in mixer bowl.
5. Sprinkle gelatin over top of water and let stand.
6. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, salt and cream of tartar.
7. Attach a candy thermometer to side of saucepan so tip of bulb measures the middle level of the mixture.
8. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, until candy thermometer reads 240°F, soft ball stage.
9. Turn electric stand mixer on low speed.
10. Slowly pour hot syrup into gelatin mixture until well combined.
11. Add vanilla extract.
12. Slowly increase electric stand mixer speed to high, careful to avoid splattering of hot syrup.
13. Beat mixture on high speed for 10 to 15 minutes or just until foam holds its shape, but is still spreadable and bottom of mixer bowl is barely warm to the touch.
14. Spread marshmallow mixture into prepared pan.
15. Lightly dust top with confectioner's sugar.
16. Let set up for 4 hours or overnight, uncovered.
17. Heavily dust the bottom of a baker's half sheet with confectioner's sugar.
18. Unmold marshmallow on top of confectioner's sugar.
19. Carefully peel off foil or parchment paper.
20. Sprinkle top of marshmallow with a light dusting of confectioner's sugar.
21. With a greased sharp knife, slice marshmallow into long strips about 1 inch wide.
22. Sprinkle top of marshmallow strips with a light dusting of confectioner's sugar.
23. Slice strips into 1 inch cubes.
24. Toss marshmallow cubes with confectioner's sugar.
25. Place small batches of dusted marshmallows in a strainer and gently shake off excess confectioner's sugar.
26. Store marshmallows in an airtight container and keep in a cool, dry place.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.