This Meringue Cookies recipe is the next best thing to Heaven!
Naturally gluten-free, the lovely dollops of angelic foam are a luscious melt-in-your-mouth treat.
So versatile, too!
Enjoy all the Meringue Cookies recipe variations and use them to create wondrous desserts.
Imagine, meringue topped pies, meringue filled cakes, scrumptious schaums, tasty tortes, exquisite pastries and delightful desserts topped with fun fillings, fruits and sauces, and then garnished with sweetened whipped cream.
Meringue Cookies Recipe Making Tips
Volume is everything when making a meringue cookies recipe.
For the lightest and fluffiest meringues, ingredients, kitchen tools and equipment should be at room temperature.
Since fats and oils destroy meringues, make sure all kitchen tools and equipment are clean and dry.
Aged egg whites produce more volume when whipped than do fresh eggs; choose eggs 4 to 7 days old.
Eggs separate easier when thoroughly chilled; separate cold eggs in advance, and then set aside egg whites to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before whipping them.
To prevent yolks from breaking and ruining the egg whites, crack open eggs one at a time and separate into a small bowl, such as a custard cup, and then transfer the separated egg white to a large mixing bowl.
Meringue cookies are a dried food; therefore they do not freeze well.
For best results, store this baked meringue cookies recipe or meringue shells in airtight containers to keep them crisp.
The Best Meringue Cookies Recipe Ever!
By Cat McMahon
A delicate crisp crust and marshmallow-like inside make these delightful cookies absolutely divine!
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 4 hours Yield:36 cookies
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- dash salt
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon Homemade Vanilla Extract (or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon gluten-free flavoring of choice)
1. Place two racks, one in center and one in upper 1/3 of oven.
2. Preheat oven to 200°F.
3. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, and then set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl add egg whites, cream of tartar and salt.
5. With an electric mixer, beat egg whites just until soft peaks form.
6. Add sugar, slowly sprinkling it over meringue 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating just until stiff glossy peaks form; DO NOT OVER BEAT!
7. Beat in vanilla extract.
8. Drop by heaping teaspoons full, or spoon into pastry tube with a large decorator's tip and pipe 2 inches apart on prepared cookies sheets.
9. Bake for 2 hours.
10. DO NOT OPEN OVEN!
11. Turn off oven and allow to cool to room temperature before removing cookies, about 2 hours.
12. DO NOT OPEN OVEN!
13. When cookies are cool, remove from cookie sheets and store in an airtight container.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.