Use tender cuts of beef for the best Chinese cuisine experience.
Slicing paper thin pieces of beef is much easier when the meat is slightly frozen.
Adjust the spicy heat to your taste by sprinkling on additional crushed red pepper during cooking or at the dining table.
For a nutritious meal, serve Mongolian Beef with gluten-free Chinese noodles, steamed snow peas and fresh oranges for dessert.
NOTE: Adapted from Martin Yan's Culinary Journey Through China, by Martin Yan, KQED Books, San Francisco, 1995.
Mongolian Beef Recipe--Gluten Free
By Cat McMahon
The enticing aroma of red chiles and garlic combine with the spicy heat of a savory sauce, rich with Beijing's culinary history, making this gluten-free Mongolian Beef recipe irresistibly mouthwatering!
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine or dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
- 1 pound flank steak or sirloin, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 10 small whole dried red chili pepper pods
- 10 scallions, cut into 3-inch long pieces
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce
1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, wine, potato starch and beef, and then set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
2. In a wok or large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil until shimmering over high heat.
3. Add chiles and beef with marinade, and stir-fry until beef is no longer pink, about 2 minutes.
4. Remove chiles and beef, and then set aside.
5. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil until shimmering.
6. Add garlic and scallions, and stir-fry for 1 minute.
7. Stir in chiles and beef, and stir-fry for 1 minute.
8. Add apricot jam and soy sauce, and stir-fry until heated through.
Thank You for Your Support! When you make a purchase via a link on this website, we may earn a small commission on the transaction at no added cost to you, which helps to keep the information and recipes on GlutenFreeHomemade.com FREE for your use. See our Affiliate Products and Services statement.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.