- 2 pounds beef stew meat, tenderized and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups beef stock or broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
1. In a Dutch oven or stock pot, heat oil over high heat until shimmering.
2. In small batches, quickly sear the stew meat until browned, and then remove and set aside.
3. Remove the pot from heat and let cool enough to safely handle, and then wipe it out with a paper towel.
4. In a small bowl, combine potato starch, thyme, salt, dry mustard and black pepper.
5. Over medium heat, melt the butter.
6. Add mushrooms, onion and celery, and sauté until vegetables are softened and the liquid has evaporated.
7. Add 1 tablespoon butter and stir into vegetables until melted.
8. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
9. Stir in the seasoned potato starch mix; continue stirring for one minute after roux begins to foam.
10. Stir in tomato paste until well mixed.
11. Deglaze the pot with wine.
12. Over medium high heat, slowly stir in the beef broth to incorporate the roux.
13. Add the seared beef.
14. Stir constantly while stew comes to a boil, and then continue stirring one minute more until gravy thickens.
15. Add bay leaf.
16. Reduce heat to a simmer, and then cover the pot.
17. Simmer stew for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, or until meat is just fork tender.
18. Over medium high heat, add carrots and potatoes.
19. Reduce heat to a simmer, and then cover the pot.
20. Simmer stew for 30 to 40 minutes more, stirring occasionally, until carrots and potatoes are fork tender.
21. Remove from heat and stir in fresh parsley.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.