If you enjoy celebrating, then you will love Peppermint Candy Cheesecake; it will become a festive family favorite!
Everyone loves special desserts during the holidays, especially a New York style cheesecake.
Peppermint Candy Cheesecake makes an impressive presentation, rivaling restaurant quality 5-star creations.
Upon first sight, your family and friends will thrill, “How lovely!”
Ultra-rich and creamy, it’s a perfect blend of melt-in-your mouth fantastic flavor, cheesecake, chocolate and peppermint.
So, What is the Secret to Creating an Irresistible Gluten-free Peppermint Candy Cheesecake?
The answer is, to start with a fantastic recipe as the foundation before building a new recipe.
Our all-time favorite cheesecake recipe is Cheesecake, New York Style, by the wife of Jeff Smith, author of, The Frugal Gourmet.
Not only is Mrs. Smith’s recipe no fail, it is the next best thing to the famous cheesecake we enjoyed when we visited New York City some years ago.
I guess Mrs. Smith would know what great cheesecake is, because she hails from Brooklyn!
So, I got busy and made a few changes, nothing major, except for the finishing touches.
I replaced the traditional graham cracker crust with a nut crust to eliminate gluten, and then I substituted an organic gluten-free peppermint extract for Homemade Vanilla Extract.
I covered the entire Peppermint Candy Cheesecake with a chocolate candy coating
It looked like a giant peppermint patty!
After garnishing the sides of the Peppermint Candy Cheesecake with a heavy layer of crushed gluten-free and corn-free candy cane, I applied the crowning touch, artfully placed gluten-free Candy Cane Cookies dusted with finely crushed candy cane.
Tips for Making the Perfect New York Style Peppermint Candy Cheesecake
- 1 1/2 cups walnut halves
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Move rack to lower third of oven.
3. Line the bottom of an 8 inch ungreased springform pan with parchment paper.
4. To waterproof the springform pan, wrap bottom and sides in a seamless double layer of extra-large foil; crimp foil over top of pan.
5. Put all walnuts, butter and sugar into a food processor or blender.
6. Process until nuts are not quite finely ground and are just starting to stick together.
7. Press mixture into the bottom of the spring-form pan, and then set aside.
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free peppermint extract
- 16 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
1. Blend sour cream, sugar, eggs and peppermint extract in a food processor or blender for 1 minute.
2. Add the cream cheese pieces and blend until smooth.
3. While blending, drizzle in the melted butter until blended and smooth.
4. Pour into the springform pan.
5. Set springform pan in a large baking dish or roasting pan with high sides.
6. Carefully pour boiling water into roasting pan until water level is halfway up the side of the springform pan.
7. Bake for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or just until set; edges should be firm, just beginning to turn light golden brown and center will barely jiggle.
8. Turn off the oven and crack the door; allow the cheesecake to cool inside the oven for 1 hour.
9. Remove cheesecake from water bath and let cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
10. Carefully remove foil from outside of springform pan.
11. Cover cheesecake and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
12. To decorate just before serving, run a sharp straight-edged knife around sides of pan to loosen cheesecake edges; release side of springform pan and remove.
13. Carefully slip cold cheesecake from spring-form pan bottom, with parchment paper intact, onto a cake plate.
Chocolate Candy Coating
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup gluten-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 corn-free peppermint candy canes, crushed
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat bring water and sugar to a simmer and cook for one minute or until sugar is completely dissolved.
Add butter and stir until melted.
2. Add butter and stir until melted.
3. Add chocolate chips, and stir until melted and smooth.
4. Frost top and sides of cheesecake with chocolate candy coating; coating will quickly set up on the cold cheesecake.
5. Immediately garnish with crushed peppermint candy and gluten-free Candy Cane Cookies.
6. Slice servings of cheesecake with a long thin-bladed knife (not serrated edged), rinsing knife with warm water between slices for a nice clean cut.
7. Store covered in refrigerator.
Thank You for Your Support! When you make a purchase via a link on this website, we may earn a small commission on the transaction at no added cost to you, which helps to keep the information and recipes on GlutenFreeHomemade.com FREE for your use. See our Affiliate Products and Services statement.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.