Use simple gluten-free ingredients commonly found on pantry shelves and in a short time you can create this especially scrumptious Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe, a treat family and friends will rave about.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
By Cat McMahon
You will "flip" for this Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe! It is a mouthwatering gluten-free take on an old fashioned dessert.
- 1/2 cup butter (or shortening)
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1-20 ounce can pineapple slices, drained, reserve juice
- Maraschino cherries, pitted and drained
- pecan halves
- 3/4 cup White Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/2 teaspoon Homemade Gluten-free Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature (or egg substitute)
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 6 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon Homemade Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a 10 inch oven-safe skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
3. Remove from heat and evenly sprinkle brown sugar over top of butter.
4. Artfully arrange pineapple slices over top of brown sugar mixture.
5. Garnish pineapple slices with Maraschino cherries and pecan halves.
6. In a small mixing bowl, sift together flour, potato starch, baking powder and salt, and then set aside.
7. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.
8. Add sugar and beat until combined.
9. Add pineapple juice and vanilla extract, and beat until combined.
10. Add flour mixture and beat just until batter is smooth.
11. Pour batter over pineapple slices arrangement.
12. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
13. DO NOT OVER BAKE!
14. Immediately invert hot skillet over a cake plate.
15. DO NOT REMOVE CAKE FROM HOT SKILLET!
16. Let rest with pan inverted for 5 minutes so brown sugar mixture can run down over the cake instead of sticking to the skillet.
17. If needed, loosen sides with a spatula and carefully unmold cake.
18. Serve warm or cold with heavy cream on the side or garnished with whipped cream.
Apricot Upside Down Cake
In a 10 inch (25 cm) oven-safe skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
Remove from heat and evenly sprinkle brown sugar over top of butter.
Artfully arrange canned, drained apricot halves (reserve juice for cake batter), pitted side down over top of brown sugar mixture.
Garnish center of each apricot half with a blanched almond and sprinkle gluten-free flaked coconut around fruit pieces.