FREE!Make your day delicious! Get the "Gluten Free Homemade Newsletter".Click here!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Updated May 29, 2018.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread Pudding is a delicious version of an old-time favorite, an easy-to-make spicy dessert your family will love!
Harvest time was always a pumpkin celebration at Grandma’s house and nothing went to waste, not even the pumpkins we carved and set by the front door to greet costumed visitors on Halloween night.
The pumpkins were carved at the last minute and set out in the chilly night, so they stayed as fresh as possible. Promptly at 9:00 p.m. the jack-o-lantern candles were extinguished and the pumpkins were carefully set on newspaper in the cold garage. Then, the front porch light was turned off.
The next morning, those jack-o-lanterns were cleaned, inside and out, cut into large pieces, and then roasted until done. The soft fragrant pumpkin was scooped from the shell and whipped with a bit of water until a smooth puree formed.
What wasn’t used in various recipes, such as muffins or pancakes, was canned or frozen to use at Thanksgiving to make the best pumpkin pie ever.
We looked forward with growing anticipation to all that spicy scrumptiousness cooked up by Grandma as each year crept into autumn . . .
. . . We still do!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread Pudding
By Cat McMahon
Mm-mm! It's a pumpkin celebration and there's no better comfort food than bread pudding!
- 4 to 5 cups stale or toasted gluten-free bread cubes
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup powdered milk (omit for dairy-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup milk (or milk substitute)
- 1 teaspoon Homemade Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Butter a 2 quart casserole dish.
3. Fill the prepared casserole dish with the gluten-free bread cubes.
4. Sprinkle the raisins over top of bread cubes, and then set aside.
5. In a small mixing bowl stir together brown sugar, powdered milk, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg and salt, until well blended, and then set aside.
6. In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy.
7. Add pumpkin puree, milk, vanilla extract and the spiced sugar mixture, and then beat until mixture is smooth.
8. Pour the pumpkin custard over the bread cubes.
9. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until table knife inserted in center comes out clean.
10. Let Pumpkin Bread Pudding set up on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes.
11. Serve warm or cold.
Thank You for Your Support! When you make a purchase via a link on this website, we may earn a small commission on the transaction at no added cost to you, which helps to keep the information and recipes on GlutenFreeHomemade.com FREE for your use. See our Affiliate Products and Services statement.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.