FREE!Make your day delicious! Get the "Gluten Free Homemade Newsletter".Click here!
FTC Disclosure: When you make a purchase via an affiliate link, GlutenFreeHomnemade.com may earn a commission on the transaction at no added cost to you.
Six Layer Dinner
Six Layer Dinner is a delicious easy-to-make one-dish gluten-free meal, perfect for weeknights and potlucks.
It is so quick to assemble!
Use low cost ingredients commonly found in most kitchens to cook up a mouthwatering recipe your family will love.
For busy week days, simply layer ingredients in a casserole dish in the morning, cover and refrigerate.
Then, preheat the oven when you come home from work, uncover and slide the casserole in the oven, set the timer and forget about it for 2 hours while you focus on spending quality time with your family or doing evening chores.
Depart from the Traditional Recipe
This is a great recipe to use up leftovers or to utilize what foods you have on hand.
If you are super frugal, purchase groceries on sale weekly at your local market.
Then, use the ideas below to make the casserole.
Change up the vegetable layers.
Ditch the white potatoes and use sweet potatoes, winter squash, cooked rice or cooked egg noodles instead.
Substitute leeks or shallots for the onion.
Perhaps add a seventh layer of green peas, green beans or carrots.
No matter how you express your culinary creativity when layering your casserole dish, you can be assured of enjoying a tasty meal rich in nutrition, especially when served with fresh in-season fruit for dessert.
Six Layer Dinner
By Cat McMahon
Talk about yummy comfort food! Try this vintage Six Layer Dinner recipe, a simple, quick-to-throw-together one-dish meal perfect for gluten-free weeknight feasting.
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 pound ground lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup bell pepper, minced
- 2 cups canned, diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 bell pepper, sliced thin
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Grease a 3 quart casserole dish.
3. Layer ingredients in the casserole in the following order, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper: potatoes, celery, ground beef, onion and bell pepper.
4. In a medium mixing bowl combine tomatoes with juice, basil, garlic powder and onion powder.
5. Pour tomato mixture over top of layer in casserole.
6. Garnish top with bell pepper slices.
7. Bake for 2 hours or until vegetables are tender and meat is cooked through.