This easy sloppy joes recipe is a quick meal, perfect for busy weeknights and adventurous campouts. The rich tangy sauce has the delicious chili flavor you’re looking for in one of America’s original comfort foods.
Double the batch and make it up ahead of time. Then, freeze the leftovers for a heat-and-serve savory satisfaction on those days when you don’t want to cook.
Get creative and change up the flavors.
Throw in some sautéed chopped Anaheim or yellow bell peppers.
Use a different flavor of Tabasco™ sauce, such as habanero or chipotle or add a few drops of liquid smoke.
Make it gourmet by topping this sloppy joes recipe with crumbled bleu cheese, grated pepper jack or smoked Gouda.
For a highly nutritious meal, serve with a tossed green salad.
Easy Sloppy Joes Recipe—Gluten Free
By Cat McMahon
Here's a mouthwatering childhood favorite for the kid in all of us!
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook ground beef and 1 cup chopped onion (set aside the rest for later) until meat is browned.
2. Drain fat from meat mixture, and then return to the skillet.
3. Over medium heat, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
4. Add chili powder, salt, cumin and oregano, and then cook for 30 seconds.
5. Stir in ketchup, Tabasco™ Jalapeño Sauce and Worcestershire sauce, scraping bits from bottom of pan and cook until sloppy joes mixture is heated through.
6. Scoop a generous portion of hot sloppy joes mixture onto a toasted hamburger bun half.
7. Top with grated cheese, chopped onion and crown the creation with the other toasted hamburger bun half.
8. Serve immediately.