Spaghetti Sauce Recipe--Key to "Delizioso" Dinners!
Updated April 24, 2018
Years in the making, this gluten free Spaghetti Sauce Recipe is like fine wine from a good vintage, a timeless classic, rich and satisfying.
Originally hand written in cursive on scrap paper, now stained and yellowed with age, the tattered edges of this recipe are lovingly dog-eared.
"Delizioso" is Italian for "delicious"!
Around the world, this spaghetti sauce is also known as Spaghetti Bolognese or the French spelling, Bolognaise.
No matter what you call it, spaghetti sauce recipe is Italian comfort food and will always remain a family favorite.
Indulge in a culinary adventure by using one of the variations listed below.
Take a vicarious journey back to old Italy by serving this spaghetti sauce recipe with a wonderful Italian Salad recipe garnished with Italian Parsley, fresh basil leaves, Castelvetrano olives and herb croutons, tossed with homemade Creamy Italian Dressing.
On the side, add gluten-free Ciabatta rolls spread with garlic butter and a bottle of Chianti (semi-dry Italian red wine).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground lean beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch cayenne
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup tomato paste (6 ounce can)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup gluten-free beef broth
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound gluten-free spaghetti, cooked and drained
1. In a Dutch oven, add olive oil, ground beef, onion, bell pepper and mushrooms.
2. Over medium high heat, brown ground beef.
3. Add salt and Italian seasoning.
4. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
5. Deglaze with red wine.
6. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, basil, oregano thyme, salt, dry mustard, cayenne and black pepper and bloom spices for 30 seconds.
7. Stir in tomato paste and honey, working the ingredients into the meat mixture; cook for 30 seconds.
8. Slowly stir in beef broth.
9. Stir in tomato sauce.
10. Add bay leaves.
11. Cover and simmer slowly for 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
12. Correct the seasonings to taste.
13. Serve over hot gluten-free spaghetti.
14. Garnish with grated Asiago, Mizithra, Parmesan or Romano cheeses.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.