- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, minced (or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1 cup chilled orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce (or Bragg's Aminos, gluten-free shoyu or tamari sauces)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- grated peel from 1 fresh orange (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1/3 cup White Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 3 large eggs
- Refined coconut oil
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned, boned and cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 scallions, chopped
1. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, potato starch, crushed red pepper and ginger.
2. Stir in orange juice, vinegar, gluten-free soy sauce and garlic.
3. Bring just to boiling over medium high heat, stirring constantly.
4. Reduce heat to a strong simmer and cook for 1 minute more; stir constantly.
5. Remove from heat and stir in grated orange peel, and then cover and set aside.
6. In a shallow dish or plate, combine potato starch and White Gluten Free Flour Blend, and then set aside.
7. In a shallow dish, beat eggs until frothy, and then set aside.
8. In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, bring 2 to 3 inches of coconut oil to 350°F as registered on a candy thermometer.
9. Working in small batches, dip chicken pieces into egg mixture, and then lightly coat with flour mixture.
10. Deep fry coated chicken pieces for 2 to 3 minutes, turning pieces until all sides are light golden brown.
11. With a slotted spoon, remove cooked chicken from hot oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
12. Bring oil back to temperature and repeat until all chicken pieces are cooked.
13. Gently fold cooked chicken pieces into hot orange sauce.
14. Transfer Spicy Orange Chicken onto a serving platter.
15. Garnish with chopped scallions.