- 1 pound split peas (green or yellow)
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 1/2 cups cooked ham, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced (reserve celery leaves)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram (1/4 teaspoon dry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Pick over dried split peas and discard any discolored peas or grit.
2. Place split peas in a strainer.
3. Rinse with cold water and drain.
4. Pour split peas into a stock pot.
5. Add cold water.
6. Remove any split peas or skins that float to the top.
7. Bring to boil and stir.
8. Cover; leave lid ajar.
9. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. Add remaining ingredients.
11. Simmer for another 45 minutes or until the carrots and celery are tender, stirring occasionally.
12. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
13. If needed, add water to desired consistency.
14. Garnish servings of hot split pea soup with reserved celery leaves.
Thank You for Your Support! When you make a purchase via a link on this website, we may earn a small commission on the transaction at no added cost to you, which helps to keep the information and recipes on GlutenFreeHomemade.com FREE for your use. See our Affiliate Products and Services statement.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.