FREE!Make your day delicious! Get the "Gluten Free Homemade Newsletter".Click here!
Stirred Custard--Key to Deliciously Easy Desserts
Updated May 14, 2018.
Simply elegant . . . that's what stirred custard is.
Better still it is naturally gluten-free and easy to make.
Across Europe, this popular dessert sauce is commonly served with in-season fresh fruit.
New Englanders call stirred custard cream filling when used to fill a Boston Cream Pie or Cream Puffs.
Others know this delicate pudding as soft custard and use it to garnish other desserts.
Among the most beautiful of culinary creations, full of flavor and satisfying, custard is a wonderfully low sugar health building dessert.
When I'm in a hurry to make a last minute treat for unexpected guests, stirred custard is my go-to recipe, because I can dish up a sweet experience with little effort by using one of the variations below and still serve a spectacular dessert.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk (or milk substitute)
- 1 teaspoon Homemade Vanilla Extract
1. Fill the bottom of double boiler with water, enough so the water does not touch the bottom of the top pan of the double boiler.
2. Bring the water to a simmer.
3. In the top of the double boiler, beat eggs until lemon colored.
4. Stir in sugar, salt and milk until combined.
5. Cook over simmering water, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, about 15 to 20 minutes, until the custard thickens nicely and sheets a metal spoon with a coat of silky sauce.
6. Cool quickly by placing top of double boiler in a sink or bowl filled with ice water.
7. Stir until custard is cool.
8. Stir in vanilla extract.
9. Pour custard into a small mixing bowl and carefully cover surface with plastic wrap to prevent "skin" from forming, and then refrigerate until chilled through, about 2 to 3 hours.
10. To serve, spoon custard into decorative dessert dishes.
Thank You for Your Support! When you make a purchase via a link on this website, we may earn a small commission on the transaction at no added cost to you, which helps to keep the information and recipes on GlutenFreeHomemade.com FREE for your use. See our Affiliate Products and Services statement.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.