FREE!Make your day delicious! Get the "Gluten Free Homemade Newsletter".Click here!
FTC Disclosure: When you make a purchase via an affiliate link, GlutenFreeHomnemade.com may earn a commission on the transaction at no added cost to you.
Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe—Key to Robust Meals
Updated June 2, 2018.
Are you looking for a vegetable beef soup recipe bursting with rich flavor and chock full of health building nutrition?
Then, you’ve come to the right place!
A frugal family favorite, vegetable beef soup is a key recipe to robust meals.
Families love this soup and all its variations, a perfect weeknight comfort food.
Even guests enjoy this homey fare, especially when served with a dark red wine or a chilled glass of gluten-free beer, fresh from the oven gluten-free muffins slathered with butter, a tossed green salad topped with homemade creamy dressing, and cheesecake for dessert.
Unless you are serving soup to a large group, there are usually leftovers.
Freeze leftover Vegetable Beef Soup recipe in single serving tubs for quick heat and eat meals on the fly or for road trips and camping adventures.
Keep enough in the freezer for easy to fix meals on those days when your are too sick to cook; the family just helps themselves to their favorite soup when they are ready to eat.
This soup is a perfect crowd pleaser; keep it good and warm in a slow cooker and dish it up with a good soup ladle.
There is nothing like your favorite meat sandwich and a bowl of steaming soup!
A nourishing vegetable soup makes a terrific first course, especially when the entrée is high in protein.
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 pounds round steak, London broil or rump roast, trimmed of fat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter (or vegetable oil)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 6 cups beef stock or broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
1. In a custard cup, mix together dry mustard, thyme, black pepper, and tapioca flour, and then set aside.
2. Place water in a custard cup; sprinkle gelatin over the top, and then set aside.
3. In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat until just before smoking point.
4. Add beef; cook until all liquid evaporates and meat begins to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Remove beef from pot and set aside.
6. Melt butter and add onion, cooking until onion begins to brown, about 8 minutes.
7. Build a roux by mixing in seasoned tapioca flour mixture and cook for 30 seconds.
8. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
9. Add wine and cook for 1 minute, scraping browned bits from bottom of pot.
10. Add tomato paste, working it into the roux.
11. Slowly pour in beef stock,whisking it into the roux.
12. Add browned beef, potatoes, carrots, celery and bay leaf.
13. Bring soup to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer.
14. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, 30 to 40 minutes; stir occasionally.
15. Remove bay leaf.
16. Add gelatin mixture, stirring until it is completely dissolved.
17. Stir in parsley.
18. Season the soup with 1 to 2 teaspoons salt or to taste.
19. Serve hot.