Are you looking for a vegetable beef soup recipe bursting with rich flavor and chock full of health building nutrition?
Then, you’ve come to the right place!
A frugal family favorite, vegetable beef soup is a key recipe to robust meals.
Families love this soup and all its variations, a perfect weeknight comfort food.
Even guests enjoy this homey fare, especially when served with a dark red wine or a chilled glass of gluten-free beer, fresh from the oven gluten-free muffins slathered with butter, a tossed green salad topped with homemade creamy dressing, and cheesecake for dessert.
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 pounds round steak, London broil or rump roast, trimmed of fat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter (or vegetable oil)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 6 cups beef stock or broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
1. In a custard cup, mix together dry mustard, thyme, black pepper, and tapioca flour, and then set aside.
2. Place water in a custard cup; sprinkle gelatin over the top, and then set aside.
3. In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat until just before smoking point.
4. Add beef; cook until all liquid evaporates and meat begins to brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Remove beef from pot and set aside.
6. Melt butter and add onion, cooking until onion begins to brown, about 8 minutes.
7. Build a roux by mixing in seasoned tapioca flour mixture and cook for 30 seconds.
8. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
9. Add wine and cook for 1 minute, scraping browned bits from bottom of pot.
10. Add tomato paste, working it into the roux.
11. Slowly pour in beef stock, whisking it into the roux.
12. Add browned beef, potatoes, carrots, celery and bay leaf.
13. Bring soup to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer.
14. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, 30 to 40 minutes; stir occasionally.
15. Remove bay leaf.
16. Add gelatin mixture, stirring until it is completely dissolved.
17. Stir in parsley.
18. Season the soup with 1 to 2 teaspoons salt or to taste.
19. Serve hot.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program (Canada), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it and Amazon.es.
GlutenFreeHomemade.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program (USA), an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.